Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Hi i have an automatic vauxhall corsa 1.4 design. it has 32000

Customer Question

Hi i have an automatic vauxhall corsa 1.4 design. it has 32000 miles on it and it is an 05 plate. My problems are that the car has started dying on me when I first start to drive it I drive about 5 minutes and when i come to a junction it just stops lose all power and all the lights come on. this has been happening since last November and my garage have changed the spark plugs, then change the coil and the spark plugs it is really irritating as by the time i have driven it ti the garage the engine is warm and the car does not show any faults the ELM light does come on intermittently but then goes off after a few days I always service my car so please help

I have read your site this am and back in 2008 one of your Vauxhall experts reccommended the ERG valve to be changed -is mine the same problem? Also how much if it is the valve will it cost me to fix

Sarah
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I don't think the egr valve is the fault in your case.

Most likely is a faulty coolant temperature sensor or poorly fitting connector at the sensor.

Other possible causes are a dirty throttle body. This can be cleaned with a soft lint free rag and brake fluid.

Mark.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

Thanks for the prompt reply is this something I can do or would I have to take it to the garage? Also why didn't this show up on the diagnostic testing as the engine was cold when they did that? Are you based in the Uk as the time this was sent was the early hours of the morning?

Regards,

Sarah

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am based in the UK.

I would advise a garage doing it as you may have to replace part of the wiring. If done incorrectly then you could cause more problems than you fix.

The garage should also use the scan tool to check the live readings from the engine sensors as they can still be faulty or give poor readings but not generate a fault code.

Mark.