Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Have a ford fusion and water leak in boot. I have taken panels

Customer Question

Have a ford fusion and water leak in boot. I have taken panels off but cant ascertain where the water is coming from. It is in the region of the rear light. I have taken the light off, but this doesnt seem to be the source. I intend to paint the welds around the taillift hinges. can you recommend a sealant to do this ?

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

How does the boot weather seals look?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike. The seals look good. There are cut outs on the inside of the body panels and the water is dripping in about half way up, about opposite where the top screw for the rear light fitting is. The seal on the light fitting looks ok also. I may try some silicone in the screw fixing, but I suspect the water is coming in higher up and running down. May be a failed weld around the hinge area ?

Cheers,

Mike

This is what I would suggest, coat the welds and the screws with the water proof silicone, the brand really doesn't matter as long as it is waterproof. These type issue can be hard to find.