Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

my 2006 freelander hand brake wont work even with new pads

Customer Question

my 2006 freelander hand brake wont work even with new pads and cable , the hand brake pulls really tight but it wont hold the car even on the slightest slope
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer.

did you fit these pads yourself?

did you fully retract the crake caliper pistons?

did you apply the brake pedal after fitment of pads to forward the piston on to the pads?

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi pal just spoken to the mechanic and the answer is yes to your questions,as I said new pads and cable he said all pistons work ok but he cant understand why it will not hold,many thanks

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

HI.

has your mechanic removed the coin tray in the center consul and adjusted the lever?

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi rob just spoke to him again and he said he had adjusted the lever

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

hi

if you mechanic has followed the correct procedure then i can no longer offer you help and will opt out and repost the question .

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks rob, that's what the mechanic said he just cant understand after going through everything 3 times he has run out of options, thanks anyway

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there I have no problem in waiting for your answer

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Do you have rear disc or drum brakes .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg, yes they are drum brakes, going to work now so wont be able to respond until after 4 , many thanks hope you can solve it its doing my head in

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Okay no problem .

Did the tech check when he had the drums off that the cable was actually working when pulled up on the brake handle, did the cables slide in and out without any problems, as these are well known to size up on the rear two cables going to the drums .

This system consist of three parts the front cable that goes to the centre consul then hooks up to the two rear cables that go to the two drums .
You will have to check that these are free to slide .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg spoke to the mechanic and he said all cable was free and working as it should as I said the cable is new and he says the pistons in the drum all work ok, thanks daz

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daz .

Okay if the cable are okay ask him how far the shoes come out when he puts the hand brake on with out the drum being fitted .

When you had the hand brake on you said it would roll on the slightest slope,
would it do this in both directions .

How many clicks of the hand brake can you hear when you have it at its tightest,
normal hand brake should have between 3 and 5 clicks .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg just tested the hand brake and I can force it to six clicks, he told me he had his lad put the hand brake on while he watched without the drums and said they worked ok, like I said he has tried 3 times but it got him stum, many thanksped at one point he thought the drums might have hair line cracks which were getting forced out when the brake is applied

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

No Daz if it had a hairline crack then it would still grab .

If you have the Hand brake ON will it roll in both directions .

Or in reverse will it hold .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg just tried it and yes it is just as bad in reverse as going forward, many thanks

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

There is something overlooked here , if the brake shoes are opening filly then they should be gripping the drum if this is the case then i can only think that the material is bad ..
Or the shoes are not extending as your mechanic is saying , can i have a photo of how he has this set up with the drum removed .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg I might have sorted it just had it on the jack and read the numbers on the 2 rear cables and one side is one didget different to the other so had a look and there is play to one side so is pulling on a angle and only gripping a little to one side only

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

This will be your problem ,i know something had been overlooked .

Fit them correctly and readjust and try .

Good luck my friend and good work on your side ,well done .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg they say the cables are right so I just measured between the wheels and there is 10mm difference on one side to the other hence the cable being a little slacker on one side , there are no new parts so I don't think its been bumped could worn bushes cause this, hope you can help many thanks

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

If you are having 10 mm more on one side then there is something wronge , this will
only grab one side ?

The cables are New ?

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg could worn bushes on the rear cause a 10mm difference between the wheels , many thanks

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Can you take a photo od the play in the cable .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi greg our lass is out at the moment and im not very good with cars when the mechanic called the other day he took the wheel off and was able to pull the cable back about 10m where it fits onto the arm in the brake drum which would not adjust up, like I said greg could the rear bushes be the cause of the gap difference between the wheels