Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi will a 200 engine fit in a 300 gearbox in my disco or would

Customer Question

Hi will a 200 engine fit in a 300 gearbox in my disco or would it be easier to fit the 200 engine & gearbox in place as a complete unit. Would I need to get any alternative parts to enable changing over. 300 engine has gone up the creek. Tnaks ,Derek
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question?
This would be much easier and cost effective to put the 200 engine and gearbox instead of swapping to the 300. With the 300 swap the ECU and wiring harness will need to be changed which will cost more money in parts and labor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mikie, I may not have put the question very clearly so I will start again. My car is a discovery 1997 300TD , can I fit a 200 engine & gearbox in its place without having to change any auxilleries etc.

Thanks ,Derek

Oh ok I understand what you are asking now. In this case if you were fitting the 200 engine and gearbox in your vehicle the main wiring harness and ecu will have to be swapped and the ecu will have to be reprogrammed which will require a dealer scan tool. Fitting the 300 would not require any of this.

Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.