Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

citroen xsara picasso.engine management

Customer Question

hi i have citroen xsara picasso 2.0l hdi 2005.engine management light on, diagnosed at halfords and got four fault codes.p0340,p0380,p0400 and decided to replace the egr valve.and the light went off,but i still feel lack of power,rough engine.i have done oil,fuel filter and a fuel treatment done.  need help.thnak you

Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

You lack power as you need to take care of the P0340 code which is the Camshaft Position Sensor circuit fault, which could be a wiring problem ,the sensor itself or the PCM.

Replacing the EGR fixed the P0400 code , have you rechecked for codes, the P0340 has most likely returned .

p0380 glow plug/ heater circuit A malfunction seen this code come due to a bad battery check the battery do a load test ,if battery weak replace clear codes retest .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .

Rgds Greg.
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi thanks for your answer. i'm aware what the codes mean. i want to know how to fix them.

1.p0340 - how do i check whether its the sensor or wiring.

2.p0380- how to check bad battery with multi meter.

3.p0480 -fan 1 control circuit worn or short circuit.(how do i check for it )

thank you

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Anif .

For the P0340 toy will need a good scope tool or a good cscan tool to check for a good wave patten , checking a cam sensor with an Ohm meter is not 100%.
With the scope the patten can be checked at the sensor and id sensor is good the patten has to be rechecked at the computer side to see if the wave patten it getting to the ECM if also good have the PCM checked .

P0380 switch all lights on wait two minutes connect voltmeter to the batter and crank engine ,voltage should not drop below 10 volts but in your case anything under 11 volts could cause this code to trip .

P0480 disconnect the fan and jump it from the battery if it starts then the short is in the wiring harness from the relay to the fan , most cases its the relay that is at fault ,try a known good relay.

Kind regards Greg.

Need further assistance please let me know .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi i have replaced the cam shaft sensor and reset but i still get the code and lack of power problem.what does it mean by bank 1?where is it located in my car?how do i replace it? thanks

type - powertrain-ignition system or misfire

description - camshaft position sensor "A"circuit range

location-Bank 1 or single sensor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Other. not received answer for the last question.i prefer a french car speacialist