Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Rover 75 Manual 2.5 Club Saloon, 2001, 166,000 kms: need to

Customer Question

Rover 75 Manual 2.5 Club Saloon, 2001, 166,000 kms:
need to top up Radiator Coolant as much as 1 Litre + per week [approx 500 -800 km per week]. No sign of drip or water under car: Radiator coolant has no oil sign: Dip stick is clear of water/oil mix: pil filler cap is showing no 'milk':
but this regular top up wekek by week dilutes the Antifreeze, and begs the question of a head gasket failure!!

Considering using product Irontite cooling system sealer......?

comments please?

Ivan
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try to assist you today.

markthebooler :

I don't think you actually have a problem with the headgasket although that could be an effect if you ever forget to top up the coolant in time.

markthebooler :

What I would suggest is to check the waterpump seal and also the gasket for the inlet manifold.

markthebooler :

These are the two most likely places for a slow coolant leak to occur that are difficult to detect.

markthebooler :

For instance, the inlet manifold gasket can leak internally. That allows coolant to escape via the exhaust as steam which you never see.

markthebooler :

The waterpump seal can also seep but here the coolant evaporates due to the heat from the engine and again you don't see a physical leak. However you might see crystalisation of the coolant leave marks around the bottom of the pump.

markthebooler :

Do you need anything else?