Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Is it legal to drive an automatic car with your left leg if

Customer Question

Is it legal to drive an automatic car with your left leg if the right is temporarily injured (but not in a cast).
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd seek some professional legal advice on this but providing you can control the car properly just using your left leg then I don't think there's an issue

however have you tried it? as its surprisingly difficult to 'teach' the leg to move under control and give smooth braking and acceleration

the onus is on you as the driver, if you're confident you can control the car and stop it smoothly and in control at all times then you're fine

however personally I wouldn't risk it - as I've used left foot braking for many years on my automatics and to ask the left leg to do acceleration and braking I think is too much