Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi i am changing the pads on my talbot express motorhome do

Customer Question

Hi i am changing the pads on my talbot express motorhome do the two side pistons push back in or do you have to screw them in as on my fiat coupe the pads have broken up so the pistons are right out .
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The two pistons need to be pushed back into the caliper,this is of course the seal hasnt been damaged or one of the pots have fallen out - sometimes when you push back one the other will come out slightly - if you have and old pad use the backing of that against both pots to push both pots back evenly with a suitable g-clamp or similar and slowly but evenly push the both pistons pots back enough so as to be able to fit the new pads and for the caliper to fit over them.whilst making sure your brake reservior doesnt over flow..Only really pistons with a solid face with slots to them need to be turned back with a suitable rewind tool and these are usually only really found on rear calipers as appossed to front calipers.I do hope this helps