Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Intermittent problem with Mazda 6 power steering. Steering

Customer Question

Intermittent problem with Mazda 6 power steering. Steering becomes heavy and there is a lot of vibration in the vehicle. When holding the steering wheel on just off full lock the wheel tries to turn on it’s own?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This is a rack and pinion issue .

What i suggest you do first is check the inner and outer tie rods for play and check the wheel alignment is good .

Fluid colour is it still a clear or red and not brown or black, does the fluid foam when turning the steering wheel left and right .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi it is not easy to see the fluid due to the design on the bottle? Does the fluid have a shelf life and should it be changed as a starting point? Regards Colin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Having jacked the front wheels up I have discovered that it is very hard to turn the wheels from lock to lock by using the wheels themselves and the steering tries to spring back to the original position. I have checked the tie rods and there is no play. The fluid is brown but it does not foam.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Any further thoughts please on my messages sent at 12.07 and 12.52?

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

I would first start with the fluid flush and change if the fluid is brown .

Greg