Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi i have a 2002 vw golf diesel auto when i slow down to stop

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2002 vw golf diesel auto when i slow down to stop at lights or in traffic it judders and stalls but if i knock it out of drive before it stalls it's ok it does not do it every time and seems to be ok when the engine is up to temp can you help me please
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
What has been repaired so far and has the fuel pressure been checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing has been repaired i had 2 diognoistic checks no fault showing gearbox oil was topped up fuel filter was checked ok not sure if fuel pressure was checked

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing has been repaired two garages did a diognostic check no faults found the gearbox oil was topped up and the fuel filter checked

Ok the issue that you are describing is a fuel restriction,this can be from a weak fuel pump or a failing fuel injector. What I would suggest is to have the fuel pressure checked and s balance test performed on the fuel injectors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The last garage checked the fuel system it it ok i can drive the car for 30 miles without it stalling or the engine missing it drives fine it,s only when i slow down to stop it feels like it is not changing down the gears and it stalls if i knock it out of drive it keeps running

Ok the fuel system will check out fine if the garage checks the fuel system while the engine is running normal. I would still recommend a balance test and a smoke test on the fuel system.