Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hello! I have a 2008 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi DSG. I went to start

Customer Question

Hello! I have a 2008 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi DSG. I went to start it but all the dash warning lights have come on and there's a rapid clicking from behind the dashboard (like a flasher unit on crack!) and nothing happening otherwise.
Could you suggest any remedy please?
Patrick
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

this sounds like the battery is flat to me

either that or the main battery connections are not tight

So first check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

if this is all OK then use a meter to measure battery voltage as it shdoul be at least 12.5V with everything off it is lower then try getting a battery charger onto it for a couple of hours

if this is all OK then check the condition of the main power relays and fuses in the underbonnet fuse - unplug each in turn and check for cracks and corroded or burnt terminals