Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

C-max Zitec 1.8 car cutting out when approaching junctions

Customer Question

C-max Zitec 1.8 car cutting out when approaching junctions and roundabouts. Been to garage numerous times. Changed spark plugs, put in new alternator, put in fuel cleaner and air filter and rebooted computer. It has happened to them but they don't know what else to suggest.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Has the intake system ever been smoke tested?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Not sure to tell you the truth - the car has been back to our local Ford dealer and so they might have done it without mentioning it to us. But otherwise not as far as I am aware

Ok the issue that you are describing is consistent with the vehicle sucking in to much air. The intake manifolds on these engines are known to leak and result in your problem. These leaks can be difficult to find and often times other parts are replaced trying to find the issue. The best way to find this type of leak is to smoke test the intake system.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks - will try this. Would it also be consistent with the fault being worse when the air conditioning is on - or the lights and windscreen wipers together?

Yes it would definitely be more noticeable with these accessories on,because it puts more strain on the engine and in turn with a leak it sucks even more air.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

We have just had the car back from the garage. They didn't find a leak - nor could they identify any further faults. Do have any other ideas? Thanks.

The only other thing that I can think of that would be causing this issue is a failing fuel injector. The next step I would take is to have a balance test performed on the fuel injectors to determine iff
One is falling below threshold.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am afraid we asked about the fuel injector and were told this had been tested and was OK.