Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

I have a 1997 Mercedes SLK and the boot has become jammed and

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mercedes SLK and the boot has become jammed and will not open. Is there a way of getting it open or is there an 'emergency' opening device inside the car please.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Peter and I will do my best to try and assist you.

I would first look at the lock mechanism by starting to put the top down. As trunk lid goes up in its backward from normal fashion, stop after the trunk is up but before the actual top starts unlatching. I believe you can see the back side of the lock in this position.

The lock is offset to the right side of the trunk lid and there is a plastic rod that rotates to go to the actual latch assembly in the middle of the trunk. It would not surprise me if the the pins are broken off the end of this rod. If so, there should not be any resistance when you push the lock in.

Of course you do not want to try to unlatch it in this position but perhaps you can see what is going on and possibly even remove the lock assembly itself without disturbing the pivoting of the trunk lid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Peter. The problem is cannot start to open the roof as the boot is full of shopping and I do not have the boot curtain in place to allow the roof to come off. Do you know of any way to get into the boot from inside the passenger compartment?

David

Ok, have you followed the manual opening procedure in the hand book? There is a bit of a back to it?