Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

what is the thing to look for on a tr 7 soft top

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

in a word Rust,

they're better than most of BL's offerings but the sills can still rust out - move the seats forwads and check the state of the floor under the carpet here

the engine, zxle and box are generally reliable but electronic ignition should be fitted and also don't tow the car more than 15 miles or so as the gearbox pump only runs when the engine is running

check all the electrics work as the swithgear is prone to issues

the pop up headlamp motors can also give issues but this is easily put right usually by removing the motor end caps and cleaning the switchs inside
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the car his been of the road for 12 moths

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

any car thats been sat for this long may need considerable work as unless the engine has been regularly started it may have seized pistons - so 1st thing to check is will the engine turn over by hand -

Also worth draining off the engine and gearbox oil and filling with fresh as these too will have degraded over time.

Also check the condition of any auxiliary drive belts as the rubber will have degraded

and you're going to need to change the battery

Any fuel thats in the tank will be very stale so ideally drain it off fit a new filter and brim the tank with fresh to dilute whats left behind.

If the car has been sat on its wheels / tyres all this time the tyre will very likely need replacing as the rubber will have taken a set and they won't run true. You may get away with just driving it around for a few days but expect a lot of vibration during this period

brakes will certainly need fresh fluid and don't be surprised if the calipers are seized the system should be bled with fresh fluid at the very least before driving the car