Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi i have a 2004 td6 r r. I am having problems with the gearbox,

Customer Question

when i start her up select drive she drives, then after 10 seconds it is like she has gone into neutral this happens in reverse too. She has done 113000 full service history from what the book says!
Now i have been told loads of reasons of thing why this could be happening, i'm not sure where i am to go with it,
is it worth trying to top up the trans fluid to see if its running low?? and if so i will have a service done on it i.e oil change and fresh filter.
other wise i am looking at a recon :( and been told i'm looking at £1700
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.

The main reason that this happens to the gear box is because the solenoids in the valve body are sticking and causing the vehicle to neutral out.This can be caused by a faulty valve body or the valves are sticking from debris.What I would suggest is changing the filter and fluid as a first step as this would be worth the chance.