Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

i have a 2001 Chevy Astro and it ran out of fuel, i have put

Customer Question

i have a 2001 Chevy Astro and it ran out of fuel, i have put fuel in and it started after about 20 mins of cranking and messing with the throttle, i got it home, just, but this morning it would not start at all, i have replaced the fuel filter now but still will not start, i can hear the fuel pump kick in when i turn the key, the van was running great before i ran out of fuel 

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok

I'd 1st check the resistance of the crank position sensor

this shoudl be 200-300ohms across the outer pins, also check the state of the wiring to it for any damaged / hard sections or corroded pins

If this seems OK then use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope to listen to the injectors for a 'clicking' during cranking

place the handle end in your ear and the tip of the screwdriver against the body of an fuel injector

let me know what you find
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All injectors Woking fine and crank sensor ok, I have checked for spark and that's fine as well
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok if you have spark and workign injectors its either a lack of fuel pressure or lack of compression

so its worth measuring both

I'd start by getting a pressure gauge onto the fuel rail and seeing what pressure is there when you try to start the engine

if thats around 3 Bar then move onto measuring compression pressures across all cylinders as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the van started now, it seems the distributor rotor had burnt out so I only had weak spark , it now runs but very lumpy unless I raise the revs??
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Arthur

thanks for the information,

if you haven't already then I'd measure the fuel pressure as its possible the pump may have sucked in some debris when it was run dry

if its is low this could be remedied by removing the pump from the tank and cleaning out the pickup gauze or you may want to just replace the pump