Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a new problem. The kickdown and change down auto to

Customer Question

I have a new problem. The kickdown and change down auto to 3rd is not working. I have looked underneath on the gearbox and the yellow 'valve' seems to be not in its housing its just hanging loose on the cable from the accel pedal and a vac tube. I can't at this point get my hand in to push it back in. The car still drives on 'manual change down .. Is it fixable or does the gearbox have to come out
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
This issue is repairable however the gear box has to come out for this job. The valve that fits in to the gear box housing is held in by a metal clip which is located on the inside of the gearbox. So even pushing the valve back in there is no way to secure it without removing the gearbox. From the description this sounds like the clip has broken.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would it be useful - if I send you a photo?

Could you identify the part I need AND will it be ok to drive it to garage - approx. 100 miles from here to have it fixed?

If I could get it back in - could I not hold it on with a cable tie or something similar . Just to make it safe to drive.?

I know the part that you are saying came out this is actually common on these gearboxes for this to happen. It would be safe to drive to have it fixed,however if it were mine I would stick it back in and secure it with something and be done with it and that would be safe as long as it stays in there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The item is castellated in some way - is there a specific way it has to refit?

When trying to insert it in to the gearbox,it will only fit in all the way one way. Just insert and turn until it goes all the way in.