Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hello I´m having a problem with my 2004 Skoda Octavia. I

Customer Question

I´m having a problem with my 2004 Skoda Octavia.

I need to deactivate the passanger airbag in order to install a child seat there. There is no "turn off" switch in my car so I need to know how to manually deactivate the airbag. My local dealer says they never do this for their customers so I am a bit worried about the situation.

Can you please help me.

Regards, Birna
Iceland
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

There are only two offical ways really to deactivate the passenger airbag and those are to use the deactivation switch inside within the glovebox using the ignition key. - i would imagine you may have already checked that - if not then maybe double check you havent missed it,this in turn once switched off will bring a warning light on for the airbag - i believe they optional anyway in regards XXXXX XXXXX switch,so some had them and some didnt - the only other route is as you may have tried already in regards XXXXX XXXXX dealer is going down the diagnostic route vagcom/vcds for vehciles without the deactivation switch - blocking can only ever be undertaken using vehicle system tester as above vagcom - When blocking the airbag units it is necessary to pull out the appropriate plugs from the airbag unit...some may also require a resistance plug connection into the plug connection of the cable harness - after which blocking and activating the front passenger airbags must be recorded in the registration card as well as in the service schedule and a specified adhesive warning label must be affixed in the vehicle in regards XXXXX XXXXX location of the specific airbag in the car in case the airbag is blocked/deactivated...I have heard some dealers may not actually do this due to safety/legal reasons..One thing you could ask if you havent already is - if they would retro fit a there own specific deactivation switch to the car to allow you to deactivate the passenger airbag when seat is in place and when not in place the switch can be turned back on.either the dealer or very good reputable auto electrician to do that will likly be the only way forward..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else then just continue

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I guess there is no way to do it at home in a quick and easy way without this this vehicle system tester? I was hoping I could unplug some certain wire and didn´t need to go through all that fuzz. But that´s probably in my wildest dreams ;)

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

You have to bear in mind the airbag system is a critical safety part of any vehicle so it needs to be working to ensure if in the event of collision it activates,in the uk the airbag light on means an mot failure now - not so sure if that the case where you are - however working with the those systems does require somebody who knows exactly how these systems work - aswell as your working with whats basically explosives in regards XXXXX XXXXX airbags themselves..If it was easy to just pull a plug or wire then they wouldnt need the switch nor if without one - go through the system tester which is basically "vagcom" which is the specific diagnostic machine for those cars which the dealer has or any other other local reputable independant specialist may have too,so i certainly wouldnt advise going to pull plugs/wires etc,its just the way it is im afraid and some dealers ive heard will simply not do it as mentioned above..It is possible to deactivate it but i would certainly seek a good auto electrician to try and bypass the bag,disconnect the plug /fit a resistor.. or be it via the dealer to maybe enquire if a deactivation switch can be fitted.i would certainly ask them that anyway as some other car manufacturers do supply kits to do that in regards XXXXX XXXXX fit a switch..but then when the babyseat is no longer in use or cars needs sold then you would need have it reactivated..the only other alternative is to have the seat in the back unfortunatly..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

I will figure something out

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there.

No problem..if you need to ask anything else or advice even then just ask anytime..

Ps..If you havent done so already - please dont forget to rate before you leave..always much appreciated..Best of luck Robert