Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

We have a Citroen Relay van LWB 08 model. Started leaking coolant

Customer Question

We have a Citroen Relay van LWB 08 model. Started leaking coolant water and needed topping up every 100 miles in which the water level would dip from Max mark to well below the Min mark! We took it to a couple of garages who tried everything under the sun and then the second garage concluded that it must be the head! We took it to a third garage and they confirmed it must be the head and quoted us just under £1.5k to have it done. We took it in to them early Dec-12 and got it back end of Jan-13! The leak did not change at all and we took it back to them and they apparently had the head checked up again and there is nothing wrong with it. We got it back mid Jun-13 (Yes no typing error) and the leak is still the same. We took it to a fourth garage who have done a simple pressure test in front of us and as far as they're concerned gases are leaking into the coolant system! We tried to take it back to the garage that has done the work and they refused to do any more work on it and said as far as they were concerned it wasn't leaking when they tested it! What do we do and where do we stand legally?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

Will the garage that has done the work at your cost - agree to run the same test that the other garage has done - ? ( it takes mins )

And / or - do you have written evidence that you can show the garage - have you done / what have they said to that ?

If they agree to test it now - themselves - that is the next step... Let me know....and we can then progress -

Plus - exactly how much mileage has the van done since you got it back from "repaired" ?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

The garage is no longer interested to look at this vehicle as they believe that the work they've done (skimming the head) is proper and there is no problem with it and anything else is not their problem. They confirmed that they will guarantee and honour their warrantee for that work only if there is any problem with it. Their argument now is it must be that the block is twisted and that's what's causing the problem?!

The vehicle has done less than 200miles since it came out from the repair.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

Thank you for your reply and info..

Ok - it is possible that the block surface - where the head sits too is warped / twisted yes but it was their responsibility to check that before they rebuilt the engine.

Too - further - not only should have the been skimmed ( which Im assuming from they just say now was done ) but when it was off - it should have been pressure tested -for any cracks etc internally.... Plus - it has to be borne in mind that , even when pressure tested - its not always 100% proven its ok - I have seen this many many times... and I would actually think that that is indeed the problem all along.

Too - it can depend on working practices .. ie, did they torque the head bolts up properly - and in the correct sequence. bolts , head bolts should have been used - were they..? I mention that rhetorically..for your info...

Again - my feeling is that it will be found that the head is faulty all along - what you need to do now is get their agreement to do the work or agree to have another garage do it - and they pay for it if its proven the head was indeed faulty all along or, its something they have done or not done that is causing it.... It has to have the work done / the job started -so that's what you have to get them to agree on now... to get a result.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc... which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.