Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Saab 9-3 SE Coupe 2.0 Turbo Automatic on a 51 plate, have a

Customer Question

Saab 9-3 SE Coupe 2.0 Turbo Automatic on a 51 plate, have a metallic clangy noise coming from the front, sounds more like the drivers side, when the surface is smooth there is no noise but as it gets bumpier the noise appears, however when the brake pedal is pressed the noise goes away instantly. Unfortunately there is also another noise however this one is probably related to the suspension as it only happens when going through very uneven road surface or speed bumps, sounds more like a squiky toy. Thank you in advance

Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Droplinks/antiroll bar bushes are quite common for causing an issue like this causing rattles if fractured the bar I mean.lower wishbones usually knock if worn,the squeak you describe could be suspension bush on that wishbone that's possibily dried out and thus causes this each time the suspension moves up and down or fault shock absorber that's one possible cause and could be contributory factor of both problems.hard to say without hearing it - also check for any obvious signs that you may have broken/fractured spring as sometimes if the spring breaks at the base then the broken section just sits in the spring seat thus just rattles about when going over uneven ground,certainly something to check anyway - they should also inspect for any loose piping ie? brake lines, powers steering hose that may rattle against the body work/subframe,or anything as such within the engine bay or arch that maybe loose.loose brake pads/retainers if worn down can in a sense rattle around pad carrier would be something else to inspect aswell a loose or corroded backing plate just behind the disc itself,you would need to remove the wheel itself to properly check those aswell..I do hope this helps