dansgarage1
dansgarage1, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  I have a gnvq level 3 in light vehicle maintance and repair and also a diploma
74699650

my 08 ford transit 140ps has been hesitating on tick over and

Customer Question

my 08 ford transit 140ps has been hesitating on tick over and today the engine cut out and would not start,after about an hour it started ok, fuel full.not to hot and oil level good
Category: Car
Expert:  dansgarage1 replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like your high pressure pump its a common problem so do no worry.

you can check this by removing your air box you need to remove 2x8mm nuts at front and 1x10mm nut at rear to remove air box next disconnect and remove air box

now you can see clearly you should be able to get to the part its located on the right hand side if looking at van from the front end

The valve is a 17mm nut .Remove the diesel relief pipe from the valve ( normally held in place by a clip, push in red tab to release... Unwind the valve with 17mm spanner. If upon removing the valve you find that you have 'several bits' this means that the valve is damaged and needs replacing

please note this cant be replaced yourself you must go to ford as the computer will need an update after otherwise you will break the new part if done before the software update... if you find their is no faulty part an update alone will fix it

PLEASE REMEMBER DONT FIT THE PART WITHOUT THE SOFTWARE UPDATE ON FORD ONLY COMPUTER FIRST

I hope this help and if I can assist you further please let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,thanks for your answer.what is the valve called ?. I will be having it done on monday.

hi its called the fuel pressure release valve ford will know exactly what your on about.

And the software update is called a pcm recalibration/software update.

You should get no more problems after this.

I hope this helps you, Many thanks, and if can assist further please update me

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks dan. I will give you results early next week,cheers dave

That's no problem, thanks for updating me

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi dan,there is nothing under the air box,the fuel pressure release vale is on the end of the common rail,a new no.2 injector has cured the starting problem but we still have an uneven tick over albeit intermiant

I am happy you have almost fixed your problem I was convinced it would be the fuel pressure valve as so many transits are coming in with this problem at the moment

that's right the sensor on the fuel pressure rail was what I was talking about.

did you replace this or check it for faults? as many transits are coming in now with this problem

also did you have the software update done?

and also one last thing you can try if it ticks over is bad now and then is the clutch switch this is behind the dash and your clutch controls the switch if you remove the switch when your stationary don't drive off but see how it ticks over without that switch in

if I can give you more help please let me know

Many Thanks

Dan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks dan, I will try your suggestions and get back to you,thanks DAVE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI DAN I WILL TRY YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND GET BACK TO YOU THANKS. DAVE

ok thanks for updating me ill look forward to your response

Many Thanks

Dan