Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

If the 5th injector on a diesel engine is damaged or burnt

Customer Question

If the 5th injector on a diesel engine is damaged or burnt from putting petrol through the system briefly (and after being removed and refilled with diesel), can continual running on it eg., 3-4 tanks of diesel further damage the particle filter?

History: Brand new car 6 months old. Filled diesel car with petrol, drove couple of 100 yards, felt the engine jolt and realized my mistake, stopped, towed to garage. Garage flushed out and refilled with diesel. Next day smoke coming from exhaust. Rang garage they said it will do that until I have put a few tanks of diesel into it. Continued to drive it and refill with diesel, smoke still coming out. kept ringing garage.... same story keep driving it. Eventually bad burning smell, took car to garage. They said 5th injector gone. Fixed it. Garage now saying particle filter damaged from filling the car with petrol. Was the filter damaged by continuing to drive the car or could it have been saved in the beginning when smoke first reported?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
The filter should have been replaced when the vehicle was first brought in. Anytime the diesel system is filled with petrol and the started the standard procedure is to clean out the tanks,flush the lines and change the filter. The filter not being changed as a first step likely is what killed the injector. Also the smoke was the fuel still being in the filter that was not changed.