Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have a seat leon tdi fr 2007 and my clutch pedal suddenly

Customer Question

I have a seat leon tdi fr 2007 and my clutch pedal suddenly stayed flat to the floor when setting off in idling traffic the recovery guy tried pressurizing fluid thru but said nothing was goin thru,a friend of my sons reckons its the gearbox and master cylinder,any other input would be grateful
Category: Car
Expert:  Ross replied 3 years ago.

techmachine :

Hi, welcome to Just answer! My name is Ross and i will help with your question

techmachine :

Do you know if the fluid had been lost before the recovery technician tried to pressurise it?

JACUSTOMER-q601focx- :

I hadn't noticed any but ther was a little bit after it happnd tday

techmachine :

Ok, this doesn't sound like a problem with the gearbox, Its probably the slave cylinder that's failed although i have known master cylinders to fail. Often the slave will leak slightly over time until it reaches a point where the fluid is too low and the pedal is lost. They can suddenly fail too, its strange that no pressure was coming through the slave, which makes me think more towards the master cylinder. The best way to diagnose is to inspect the slave cylinder for any signs of leaks under the rubber boot.

JACUSTOMER-q601focx- :

my sons mate ad look at it and he mentiond gearbox ad gone but he also mentioned master cylinder but I avnt a clue what it all entails ,like I said when recovery guy put the pressurisin bottle on and askd me to pump clutch up and down by hand he jst sed no fluid was coming of some sort of nipple

techmachine :

Ok, i think at this stage it could either be the master or the slave, i don't see with the symptoms you describe why the gearbox would be the problem here so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

Ideally the system should be vacuum bled with new fluid, then checked to see if it will operate and inspected for leaks, there will probably be a small leak somewhere, otherwise if possible, clamp off the flexi hose and see if pressure is achieved after bleeding, if no pressure, the master cylinder is at fault, if it does go hard, the slave is the likely suspect.

Are you looking to carry out the repairs your self?

JACUSTOMER-q601focx- :

my sons mate who has done cars forever ws the 1 who sed gearbox ad gone and master cylinder so I ws gona let im do the work bt I wantd expert opinion cos I knw its not gona be cheap,are the gearbox and master cylinder 2 completely different parts and if it is gearbox etc wot price realistacly wud I expect to pay

techmachine :

For the gearbox, brand new is big money (between £5000-£7000) So needless to say if the gearbox had failed the options are generally a rebuild, fit a manufactured box or second hand, which ranges anywhere from £1000 to £250 depending on the option you choose.

The slave cylinder is usually around £100 for a genuine part, or as little as £30 For an after market, the master is a little more expensive but not by much, usually around £50-60 for after market.

I see no reason what so ever why the gearbox would suddenly fail without prior warning, and it certainly wouldn't have any effect on the master cylinder so unless they both happened to fail at the exact same time, the clutch pedal shouldn't be directly linked to gearbox failure.

JACUSTOMER-q601focx- :

fanx fr ur help anyway

JACUSTOMER-q601focx- :

il see wot quote I get from im tomorw

techmachine :

No problem, Feel free to ask if you have any further questions, i will be happy to help otherwise if your satisfied with my answer please provide a rating, thank you, Ross.