Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

how do i remove a jammed ignition lock cylinder on an izuzu

Customer Question

how do i remove a jammed ignition lock cylinder on an izuzu D-MAX. this pick-up does not have a coded key it is just a plain metal key and what looks like a basic cylinder.THANKS
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
The plastic moulding around the steering Column comes off first,this is held on by screws. After this is off turn the key to the on position and on the bottom side of the cylinder is a small hole about the size of a nail,find something to insert in this hole and this is how the cylinder is released. After pushing the tab in with a nail or equivalent the cylinder pulls straight out,push the new cylinder in until it locks in place and then reinstall plastic moulding.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike....The only hole below and slightly to one side of the cylinder has a thread in but is not one of the plastic moulding screw holes.The problem is that even with gentle tapping now the key will not turn so I need another method of either turning the key or some other way of removing the cylinder.....Thanks

The only other method is to pry the cylinder out with a small pry bar,for the cylinder to come out it has to be in the on position and since your will not do this I don't see another way.