Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology

Hello, Have just come acroos this website and thought I would

Customer Question

Have just come acroos this website and thought I would ask.
I have a 1988 vw t25 - 1.9 watercooled. It has been running fine, then yesterday went to start it and it would not.
Turn the key and it does not turn over but can hear clicking noise. The battery is fine. Do you think I should go for putting in a new starter motor straight away or what steps would you recommend I do first.
Apologies for the lack of detail. Look forward to hearing from you.

Category: Car
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 3 years ago.

Peterkmiles : Hi,

It sounds like the starter motor might be stuck, the first actions I would take are to put the vehicle in 1st or reverse gear and rock it backwards and forwards whilst in gear, this might release the starter. Failing that, if you can access the starter, put a long screw on it and tap it gently with a hammer while someone tries to turn the engine over, again this might release it, be careful to stay away from the working though.

Once you've done these and it's still the same the only options really are to strip and rebuild the old starter or replace it.

I hope I have helped.

Best regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. It was the starter motor. Changed it, vehicle started straight away. Thanks for the help.
That's great, could I trouble you to rate my answer as your deposit doesn't pay me for my answer its your rating that does.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Best regards