Rob
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years trade experience
16305601

2002 VW POLO 1.4 TDI AIR BAG STAYS ON

Customer Question

2002 VW POLO 1.4 TDI AIR BAG STAYS ON
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to just answer.

I doubt the airbag module is at fault these are normally very reliable.

your code reader will only read engine management faults not airbag issues.

do you know the actual fault code your friend retrieved?

has the vehicle ever been involved in an accident ?

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought the car 5 years ago and didnt notice the warning light since before even the air bag warning light is lighting or not it will still pas the MOT. until last year that its implemented. So the inspector noticed it that its not on, thats why its failed. I will ask my friend tomorrow the exact code or will borrow his diagnostic. Yes, I agree that my diagnostic will not do the job. Since I bought the car 5 years ago, no accident happened and even in the log book when iBought it, its not written in the logbook.

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Hi Hilario.

I am an MOT tester myself and am fully aware of the new regulations and consider this failure does not make the vehicle un road worthy but the powers that be do.

I will speak with you tomorrow and hope fully we can fix this for you .

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

Just talk to my friend. He cant remember the fault code but what he remember is that it says faulty module or no power to it.

Thanks,

Larry

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

it would be better to have a code to work with as there will be sub codes that are related to what you friend has said and will make a diagnosis more accurate.

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. ill take it tomorrow

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Hi .

ok we will speak tomorrow.

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI Rob,

Me and my friend tried to plug it again on his diagnostic but this time its not communicating anymore to the airbag system. Tried another friend with his laptop and he same happens, it will not communicate anymore to the air bag system.

Best regards,

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Hi different name every time we communicate lol.

I am going to be honest with you without a proper code any one is going to struggle to diagnose this fault !!!!!! but there is another solution which will enable the car to pass an MOT test but be advised this is not kosher and the airbag system will not work in the event of an accident and you will need the services of an auto electrician ......are you interested?

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI Rob,

Yes, Im very interested. By the way, I bought another module since that is given on the first diagnostic, but still happens.

Can you give me the solution, I know a bit electrical since im marine engineer in profession, but should be the instruction be in details. Just want to pass MOT this time. then will solve the real problem later on. Ill be waiting Thanks Rob.

Frank

Sorry for my different name. even me confused what to used since my family and friends called me on different names.lol

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Hi Frank.

this is not legit so I am only advising you what to do.

with a circuit tester find the feed for the engine check light on the back of the instrument cluster join 2 wires to this then remove the bulb and holder for the airbag light on the back of the cluster join the 2 wires to this and isolate the seat of the holder so as not to make contact with the circuit board ,this will enable the air bag lamp to illuminate in unison with the engine check lamp and then to switch off.

regards rob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

On my vw polo 1.4 tdi, its not a bulb but LED. Also engine check light and air bag is not side by side. Hand brake light is in the middle and separating them. So, maybe its not possible.

Thanks,

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

have you had the cluster out?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

Done it last wednesday but put it back after I remover the black tape that cover the LED.

Frank

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ill take it out again right now.

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

If you look at the lower half of the cluster you should see some plastic

similar to these although some you cannot remove the bulb but they are bulbs and not led.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Rob,

I have the cluster board now in my lap and i can see that its an LED not a bulb.

Thanks,

Frank

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

ok

I am all out of ideas