Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

hi iam trying to change the alternator, but cant loosen the

Customer Question

hi iam trying to change the alternator, but cant loosen the drive belt?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully I can help..

There are a about 3 if I recall different tensioners on these..the most common are the ones that just need a ring spanner/socket and ratchet onto the centre nut on the pulley and turned clockwise to free the belt off.the other has formed hex nut on the body of the tensioner same procedure.both of which are spring loaded so does require a bit of effort to get it to turn.some have hole you need to line up and then insert an allen key to hold the tensioner you may need another person above to route the belt whilst you hold the tensioner open or loosened to seat the belt properly.the other one is a fixed pulley to a slide bracket that has two bolts one on the top above the pulley and one bolt bottom below the pulley and adjuster bolt to slide the pulley/bracket together up to loosen off the belt and vice versa to tension the belt and the tighten up the two bolts..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else then just continue..