Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi techs,i d like to know what code b 0118 means please cause

Customer Question

hi techs,i d like to know what code b 0118 means please cause on some sites they say its a short in the side left air bag and on others they say its the front impact sensor ,and by the way im trying to get over this problem on a fiat 500 multijet 2008
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
This is a code for the front impact sensor and or harness for the front impact sensor.
Was the vehicle in a accident?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi,yes it was involved in a head on,ive changed the impact sensor and i ve checked the wiring ,everything s good but im missing something.i tried to clear the code with a scanner to no avail and its holding me back from doing a proxy alignment

There could of been a hard fault set in the ECU,sometimes in a accident this happens and after all repairs are made the ECU has to be reprogrammed. From what you have already replaced and checked I would say this is your next step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im sorry that i aint told u but in the section of what i tried i ve wrote that i ve changed all 3 air bags ,the pre tensioners and the airbag ecu and when i scanned it last it showed this code of the jmpact sensor so i ve changed it although i wasnt sure that it was it cause some sites say its the side airbag

I'm speaking of the vehicle ECU that sets the hard fault during a crash and normally has to be reprogrammed. The code that you are getting is for the impact sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i ve scanned all ecu s of the car and cleared all codes except this one ready to be proxy aligned ,i think if theres a fault in the engine ecu it will show in the form of a code no ?

It should but this code Is for the impact sensor that you have already replaced,it's possible you purchased a faulty sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i m sure its not the impact sensor cause i ve purchased two brand new ones and i even swapped them cause ive got two identical cars for the same job

Ok so this brings us back to the ECU since you are still getting the code for the impact sensor even after it has been changed and the harness checked out.