Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Can the 6th gear taper roller bearing, in the end case, be

Customer Question

Can the 6th gear taper roller bearing, in the end case, be replaced, and reassembled, without removing the gearbox from car. It is a Mito 1.6JTDm 6 speed M32 gearbox. Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Unfortantly the gear box has to be removed and opened up to replace this bearing as there is not enough access to do this with the gear box installed in the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you sure this bearing change can not be done in situ, as I have just found on a Fiat forum, someone ( amateur mechanic ) has done it without removing the gearbox.

The car he worked on was a Grande Punto with the same M32 gearbox. The floor pan is the same for both Mito, Grande Punto and Vauxhall Corsa.

Have you ever changed this component in one of these gearboxes?

Thanks again.

Yes I have changed this out before and I am not aware of a way that this can be done on the vehicle because of the access to the bearing.