Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2 litre td auto drives ok for 5 to 10 miles then lose the kick

Customer Question

2 litre td auto drives ok for 5 to 10 miles then lose the kick down on auto gearbox and the car then wont accelerate as engine dies away unless u ease your foot off throttle again. otherwise drives ok but just loses kick down so cant overtake or accelerate.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had the car since it was six months old and always had trouble with the engine management light coming on. in the first six months of having the car after the light come on for the fourth time the main dealer disconnected the EGR sensor on Suzuki's instructions. Since then I've had no trouble with the turbo although the light was still coming on from time to time. originally when the light came on it used to put the car into a safe mode but that stopped about 6 years ago . the light still came on from time to time but the car still drove normally. each time I paid to have it reset no faults showed on the computer so eventually I didn't bother to have it reset and it has been on for the last 4 years with no problems. A local mechanic has had a look and found no faults and once again he has reset the light.

Ok. I don't believe this is a gear box issue. The issue that you are describing is consistent with the turbo causing the problem. The turbo does not sound like the turbo impeller is spinning fast enough,this can be from the impeller bearing,worn or broken fins on the impeller or a restricted oil line to the turbo. What I would suggest is to have the turbo checked really well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply but can I ask 1. if it was the turbo surely it would whine if the bearings were worn or the problem would be there all the time if the fins were broken? It doesn't whine and the problem is not there all the time, when it's working and I put my foot down it changes down immediately and accelerates hard. 2. how can the turbo affect the kick down, I agree that if the turbo was faulty it would not accelerate but would it not still change down? only when the fault is there it will not change down when the throttle pedal is pushed to the floor, is the kickdown not worked electrically with a switch somewhere?

If the turbo checks out fine,the kick down comes from the turbo boost valve which can also cause this issue. The turbo boost valve opens and closes by design and when failing can prevent the kick down from happening at certain times.