Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

A message has just appeared on the dashboard. "Gear shift paddles

Customer Question

A message has just appeared on the dashboard. "Gear shift paddles disabled". The auto function works perfectly well but when a paddle is depressed it goes into neutral. Have I pressed a wrong button or something, I have had the car from new and it is 6 years old and has 23500 miles on the clock.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

nabilc :

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

nabilc :

Whenever a fault is detected within the shift paddles, this message is displayed, and the paddles will no longer operate. You're stuck in Auto mode.

nabilc :

If you turn the engine off, and then on, the paddles should work again (in case this was a software bug causing this).

nabilc :

If the problem persists, then you need to have the vehicle plugged on to a diagnostics computer, to retrieve the fault codes, and confirm the cause or culprit, and then act accordingly.

nabilc :

Most commonly, this happens as a software bug or glitch, which resets when engine is turned off and then on. In which case, and if the problem is not recurring, you have no problem.

nabilc :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

nabilc :

Regards, Billy

JACUSTOMER-qxwvuyff- :

Already switched engine off then on, no change. Its parked up for the night now so if its the same in the morning are you saying take it to an Aston dealer?

nabilc :

nabilc :

Indeed, as there may be a fault within the transmission itself, or a fault within the gear shift paddles. Only retrieving the fault codes will confirm, so you proceed accordingly.

nabilc :

Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.

nabilc :

Regards, Billy

nabilc :