Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

BMW 525 TDS Auto - 1989. MOT failed because the ABS light on

Customer Question

BMW 525 TDS Auto - 1998. MOT failed because the ABS light on the dashboard sometimes stays on! I drove it for 2 miles today with the ABS light on and after turning off the engine, the light went out after starting again!. All the brakes have been stripped down and cleaned and the car has been parked up for some 9 months. Overall, the car is in very good condition. What do think I can do to overcome this problem? Pete Leech

Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello.

markthebooler :

Most likely your fault is either a wheel speed sensor fault or the toothed ring at one of the wheel hubs has been damaged.

JACUSTOMER-cuto3e4p- :

ok. I can make a visual check to see if there is damage to the toothed ring on a wheel hub but how do I determine what wheel sensor is faulty? Pete

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Wheel sensors should be tested with a multimeter or a scan tool.

The multimeter should be used to first check the resistance of the sensor and then the AC voltage of the sensor with the wheel jacked up and the wheel being spun.

Mark