Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

I have a 56 plate Vauxhall Astra 1.7 TDI. I put it in the garage

Customer Question

I have a 56 plate Vauxhall Astra 1.7 TDI. I put it in the garage for a service and to fix an oil leak. They replaced the head gasket (this being the problem for the leak) and cam belt as they said it was covered in oil, plus full service. The next day I was travelling 100 miles and noticed a whooshing noise when I accelerated with a loss of 50% power. I stopped the car, turned it off for a while and restarted. Everything was fine so I continued my journey. The following day I travelled back and got home to a burning smell from my car. I popped the bonnet and their was oil residue on the engine that was smoldering as the engine was very hot. Called the garage who took it in and said they replaced a couple of seals. Two days later I notice this whooshing noise in the morning and on the way back from work the engine went into over drive - a runaway engine.
Towed it back to the garage who have had it for 3 weeks and have now told me its the turbo at fault and want me to pay for new turbo plus what ever extra (possibly injectors? etc). Could it be that they over filled the oil in the service to blow a seal in the turbo? It just seems too much of a coincidence that the turbo has gone after they have been working on an oil leak, replacing oil and changing seals. Your thoughts please.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

nabilc :

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

nabilc :

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

nabilc :

I do understand your frustration, as this is costing too much money, time and effort, and the problems seem to never end.

nabilc :

However, even if they overfilled with oil, the turbo seals should not get affected.

nabilc :

Having the oi leak before, might have been the cause to slowly deteriorate the turbo, as oil was getting low in the engine.

nabilc :

And having the whooshing noise as you describe it, does indicate a turbo problem.

nabilc :

However, after that is fixed, and if you have any other problems, and before replacing injectors, you need to have them to check and clean the fuel flow control valve. As this is a common issue on your engine, causing performance problems:

nabilc :

Kindly get back to me with your results, or if further assistance is needed.

nabilc :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

nabilc :

Regards,

nabilc :

Billy