Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

What fault codes would show up on a car computer diagnostic

Customer Question

What fault codes would show up on a car computer diagnostic test performed on a Citroen Picasso Xsara (automatic) and what do the codes mean?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully I can help..

Have they actually corrected the camshaft fault totally with no further faults codes being recorded?

was that the only fault code the AA got? and what symptoms did you have to call the AA out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine fault light came on and car started to run jerkily as if it was misfiring. Called AA rather that risk driving further and the only thing that came up on their diagnostic check was the camshaft sensor, nothing else. Towed into Aberdeen and following day took car to nearest citroen dealership - they insisted on performing their own check which (as far as we were made aware) also showed only the sensor problem. BUT they called to say mechanic suspected possible fault on ECU and would like to do further investigation at further cost - he was wrong and only camshaft sensor came up on second diagnostic check. They ordered and replaced this part, then came back saying this had not solved all the problems and they needed to fit a coil pack, spark plugs and air hose. We only serviced car in May and new plugs were fitted then so we are rather sceptical and feel we need extra help to challenge their findings. They have not informed us of actual readings, we live in Cumbria, car is in Aberdeen so we are slightly handicapped and unable to pop in to check on progress.

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok i wasnt aware there would be distance problem..Usually in regards to camshaft sensor faults it either due to the sensor itself/wiring from the sensor/to ecu/out of sync with crank or that sensors at fault or in regards to possible mechanical fault/timing issues.there are a fair few differant codes that can all relate to the same sensor.Bar one or two codes P1327 which covers both Camshaft sensor and ignition coil the coil being the likly culprit if that code does come up,was that one you got.Any other issues as far as coil goes should of brought up other codes aswell as maybe codes related to the split airhose depending which hose they talking about etc.spark plug in general would really bring up a code cause there are no codes for spark plugs but im sure that would of been picked up by the AA i would suspect if there was a missfire present.without knowing the readings/or the actual code on the day of retrival by the AA then where pretty much in the dark as per exactly what the issue is..Im not sure whether you've taken this further with the dealers service/tech manager to get further info...?