Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

hi my son has a Vauxhall corsa b 1.0 12v 3 cylinder on a 2000

Customer Question

hi my son has a Vauxhall corsa b 1.0 12v 3 cylinder on a 2000 plate, when driving up an incline or pulling away hard [ pushing his foot down on the accelerator ] the car starts to hold back and the engine management light comes on. this only seems to happen when the car is under stress any ideas. cheers.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This could well be a fuel delivery issue ,low pressure ,so i suggest you first check the fuel pressure .may have a weak fuel pump .

But first if you have access to a diagnostic scan tool so we can see what malfunction codes you have ,this will greatly help in diagnosing this problem ..

Fuel delivery can also be a problem with one of the sensor like a mass air flow sensor .
but to know this you will have to be hooked up to a scan tool ..

If you can get the codes and post them for me then i will be able to assist you with this issue ..

Let me explain how this system works ...

When driving your car and suddenly you notice that the check engine light is "ON" then this means the management system (ECM) has encountered a malfunction with in the system , in some cases you will not notice any difference in the driving quality, or you may notice the engine power has dropped or its starting to misfire ...
Now if you don't notice any difference in the driving quality, then you are okay to keep on driving until you have time to get to a shop, where they will hook up a diagnostic scan tool to check for malfunction codes .
Once you have the codes then you will know what has malfunctioned and what has to be done to rectify this problem..

When the check engine light comes on then you could have any of 100reds of problems.. The MAP sensor is only 1 of many that will trip off the check engine light

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi thanks sorry i have no access to the code reader other than paying a mechanic. do you think the egr valve could cause this as it seems to happen only under load

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi ..

Its possible , disconnect the vacuum hose to the EGR and plug it, then do the same drive and see if it improves ..

I would in your case as you are checking your sons car and most likely the whole family
is get a cheap code reader from ebay they cost around £50 upwards ..

If you are interested let me know and i will drop you a few links on which one is best to have ..

Rgds Greg