Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech

Hi. I own jag stype 3.0 v6. On a04plate . 7days ago while driving

Customer Question

Hi. I own jag stype 3.0 v6. On a04plate . 7days ago while driving locally the car went into limp mode . I then took the car to my local garage who I have used for 14yrs appox at the garage they used a code finder & informed me there were a lot of fauilt codes showing but the main fauilt was the altanater & if it was replaced it. most of the fauilts should clear. I left the car in there care it took 4days to replace the altanater they then informed me that the car was running really lumpy . 2days later received call from garage to say that a power surge from the old altanater had fryed the circuit board on the CPU & that now needs replaced. I smell a RAT . Please help. Scott (London )
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scot.

I think you are correct in smelling a rat.

does the car still start and run?

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it runs . Garage saying it coughs & splutters.note if code reader had shown lots of faults when first tested. How can these codes show if the CPU was fryed . Also no reply from garage today
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott.

It may be possible that the code reader pulled up lots of faults but these maybe historic

when a fault occurs it stores the code and if undeleted it remains in the memory.

As the vehicle is running I can say that the cpu has not been fried it would not run if it was damaged to the extent they say.

The next step is for them to delete all stored fault codes run the engine and re scan .

If it is at all possible I would like to know what codes are remaining and can then offer more advice.

regards rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks rob : Question when problem 1st occurred on dashboard the symbols displayed were battery, engine. &in centre display box(limited performance ) garage said it was odd that both Battery&Engine symbols were on at the same time. Will try to obtain codes if possible. Scott
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott.

This is normal to display the engine check lamp and limited performance when the charging system is faulty as the control module will shut certain operating systems to conserve the important systems.

this question is open for another six days so I will await your report about the codes .

regards rob