Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Renault Clio 1.2 03 reg. Does not start when you turn the key.

Customer Question

Renault Clio 1.2 03 reg. Does not start when you turn the key. Dashboard lights turn on as normal, noise is heard from the engine (oil pump?) as normal, turn key and lights go out. When key returned lights come back on. Starter motor does not turn over.

Intermittent fault - happened about 9 months ago - RAC came out and put a wire in the engine compartment - if car does not start we put key in the on position and touch the wire to the battery terminal - starts first time. So nothing wrong with the engine as such, but the engine does not register the key turn.

Since then the car worked as usual without the work-around for 9 months. Problem has just has just happened again. I have tried the 2nd key, so do not think it is a transponder in the key. Car still fires up if the wire touched on the battery terminal, but this is not a permenant solution - when the fuel runs low I don't think the petrol station will take too kindly to me spark starting the car on the forecourt.Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are describing is a electrically failing ignition switch,there is where the starter gets its signal to spin over and start the vehicle.When the battery is touched this is bypassing the ignition switch.