Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi, trunk lid keeps opening on its own or at time of locking/unlocking.

Customer Question

Hi, trunk lid keeps opening on its own or at time of locking/unlocking. Unlock centrally and lid opens....shut all get in and it'll open again? When lid pops open you can hear the lock constantly clicking! Help its driving me mad :-(
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The issue that you are having is a electrically failing lock actuator for the trunk.The actuator has shorted and this is why it has the erratic functions.I am also a warranty inspector and have seen this issue on these vehicles many times.The fix is to have the actuator replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Where abouts is the actuator located? Inside the boot lid lock?
Yes inside and part of the boot lid lock assembly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Mike.
Replaced whole of lock unit including actuator etc genuine part from Mercedes and problem still there. Pops open intermittently on locking and unlocking. Left it locked and boot lid popped up twice in an hour so at the mo have disconnected the plug and using emergency key. Any other suggestions?
Ok that is odd because the failure is always the actuator. This has to be a wiring issue and a electrical short. The harness that runs to the actuator has a open short somewhere.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Ok. Where exactly does the harness run to?
The harness runs through the body of the vehicle and ends up at the body control module under the dash.