Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 1999 c200 Mercedes Benz has had the battery out for 4/5

Customer Question

My 1999 c200 Mercedes Benz has had the battery out for 4/5 months .. On replacing battery the car now only has 2gears, forward and reverse, in forward it only uses 1gear (low?) it is (according to the manual) in safe/limp ?mode, there is apparently a button? Located underneath the engine? where if any would that be? What does it look like please?

Is there a way we can take the car out of safe/limp mode?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question. The button that you are describing does not come on your vehicle. The vehicle is in limp mode because of the battery being disconnected and the system has to be relearned. This requires a Mercedes scan tool or equivalent and can not be done without one. The limp mode is set up to be able to drive the vehicle short distances to get the drivef home safely without damaging the vehicle,so if you have side roads you can take,the vehicle will make it.