Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I bought a car had 65000 mileage on it and now the turbo burnt

Customer Question

I bought a car had 65000 mileage on it and now the turbo burnt out the lender is saying I am in fault for the repair how is that and how long life does a turbo has please reply
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
The turbo burning out is nothing that you did as a driver. The turbo can and will go out at any mileage and without warning. The turbo can mechanically fail by way of the turbo impeller and or impeller bearing going bad or the oil is restricted through the turbo feed lines. The turbo lines can become restricted over time from debris and sludge. If the vehicle was bought with no warranty or the warranty is expired then the selling dealer would not have to fix this. I have seen turbos go out at 30,000 miles.
Let me know if you need further assistance thank you.