Rob
Rob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years trade experience
16305601

Hi still having the same trouble as before I have changed the

Customer Question

Hi still having the same trouble as before I have changed the fuel filter but just the same turn the engine it wont start but if I spray easy start down the air filter tube it starts and run and drives fine but turn it off wont start till I spray
Category: Car
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Rob_Mechanic :

Hi. can you tell me what engine you have fitted 1.6 1.8 or 2.0. also the fuel filter is it fitted on the right hand side of the engine and a square shaped housing with two pipes connected to the rear of it?

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

its 1.8 and the filter is on left hand side( circular ) at the back of the block

Rob_Mechanic :

thanks for that you have the ford engine and not the Peugeot lump. I change about 20 of these a weak and only have a problem with the French engine .how long have you tried cranking the engine continuously?

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

sometimes 20-25 sec not much longer as it says not to long

Rob_Mechanic :

The filter you have fitted is it exactly the same as the original? disconnect the 3 fuel lines and reconnect again as I think it is drawing air into the system and with that it will drain back to the tank after being left for a time.

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

it was exactly the same that is what I thought but even if you turn it off and start it straight away it still wont start

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

is there any way of checking for air leaks

Rob_Mechanic :

I would like you to try this . on the top of each injector is a leak off pipe follow the pipe to the left hand side and after stopping the engine clamp this pipe after no1 injector leave for 10 minutes then with some assistant get them to crank engine at the same time you remove the clamp.

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

carnt do this till 2mro as car is at work

Rob_Mechanic :

that;s ok if you can try this and let me know tomorrow night

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

what am I looking for with clamp

Rob_Mechanic :

you may have a problem with a seal in an injector body and this will cause an immediate drain to the tank

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

ok thanks

Rob_Mechanic :

I will await your report tomorrow.

JACUSTOMER-a39o3uy2- :

ok

Rob_Mechanic :

please do not reply to this

Rob_Mechanic :

as it will lock me on and I will not be able to advise other customers without replying to you first

Rob_Mechanic :

regards rob