Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1.9 non turbo L reg. V W t4 which drives pretty well

Customer Question

I have a 1.9 non turbo L reg. V W t4 which drives pretty well until it reaches slight incline then all the power is drained from it and struggles to drive in 1st gear what can I do to cure this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd suspect that there's an issue with the fuel pickup pipe inside the tank as there's a strainer on the end of it and if this is clogged or damaged then you may struggle to pick the fuel up

you can verify this by using a fuel can as a tempoary tank and fitting a supplementary pipe to the engine pump / filer housing

as get to the pickup pipe is tricky you can access / view it through the fuel sender hole though so that would also be worth a look

to access the sender you 1st trim and cut through the carpet at perforation, this is on right side of hand brake lever.
Underneath this you will find a cover plate, remove this cover plate to reveal the top of the sender
Pull off the connector and pipes from the combined pump sender unit.Then remove the retaining clamp and the assembly will come out.