Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

My astra mk 4, W reg, boot lock will not lock. The central

Customer Question

My astra mk 4, W reg, boot lock will not lock. The central locking works okay except the boot. I have removed the tailgate trim and the rods to the tailgate lock work okay but the boot does not actually lock.

Is it the catch itself? The Haynes manual only discusses removal and replacement but not troubleshooting. Any help appreciated!
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

markthebooler :

Hello.

markthebooler :

Does the lock motor work when you lock with the remote?

JACUSTOMER-bq9md4ca- :

Yes. The remote doesn't work now but when you use the driver's door lock the central locking works. But yes I can see the lock work and the rods move.

markthebooler :

When the tailgate is closed does the lock hold it closed or can you lift the tailgate without operating the handle?

JACUSTOMER-bq9md4ca- :

The lock didn't hold it closed. But now it works, or temporarily works, so I have left it locked. But I am going to have to have it looked at today as I need the car for business so need to keep it locked.

markthebooler :

If it didn't hold it closed then it sounds like the catch is starting to fail. These cost about £20 and are easy to replace.