Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

i have a nissan silvia 1.8 turbo 1989, 3 door coupe. we seem

Customer Question

i have a nissan silvia 1.8 turbo 1989, 3 door coupe. we seem to have a fuel problem, theres fuel in the tank but the car won't start, how can i check if its the pump? if its not the pump what else could it be? if i take the pipe off the turbo and spray fuel down it,the car will run but only on the spray thats going down! please help? also any idea of costs to replace/repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is Mark and I will try assist you with this.

Mark :

Because the engine starts from a separate spray then you can assume the ignition system is good and the fault is due to the fuel supply.

Mark :

This can be either a faulty pump, faulty fuel pump relay, blown fuse, bad wiring or bad ecu.

Mark :

You will need a multimeter to carry out various tests at different point on the vehicle to determine what the fault is.

Mark :

Normally, I would start at the furthest away point. ie the fuel pump. If it is getting voltage to the pump and the earth connection is good, then the pump is at fault.

Mark :

Depending on the results from these tests determines where you test next. If the voltage is good then the earth connection must be bad.

Mark :

If there is no voltage then the next check is at the fuel pump fuse.

Mark :

If there is voltage at the fuse but not at the pump then you have a broken wire between the fusebox and the pump.

Mark :

You keep following this logical sequence until you find the cause.

JACUSTOMER-u8ffxwx4- :

had a problem a few years ago where the engine would run on idle all day but when you put your foot down , the engine would cut out. I had this repaired at a garage called "IQ" in Wolverhampton, they put a new turbo on and fixed whatever the problem was with the fuel. there have been no problems since until i took it recentlly to the local garage to have the welding done. is there a fuel cut off on the nissan? i have tried and tested all that was suggested above with no success. the fuel filter is full and has got pressure in it, if it is the pump, is there any way i can fix it without having to buy a new one?

JACUSTOMER-u8ffxwx4- :

i am still waiting for further suggestions with this ongoing situation.