Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have 1994 SPI 1275 Mini, which I have recently

Customer Question

I have 1994 SPI 1275 Mini, which I have recently restored but the engine intermittently starts. I think the problem is associated with the fuel injector system but not sure if it is a mechanical restriction or an electrical control issue. Any advice. Mike XXXXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd suggest double checking that you've got the flywheel in the right place as its a 2 piece item that can be bolted up in 3 positions and only 1 of which is correct

If you look at the holes drilled in the back of the flywheel then there should be a gap to mark TDC no.1 this needs to align with the crank sensor on the engine when the engine is at TDC no.1

So I'd whip out the no,1 spark plug and turn the engine by hand until its coming onto compression ( place your finger in the plug hole to find this) and when its at the top remove the crank sensor and check its looking at a gap in the flywheel drilled holes

If its not then remove the flywheel cover and unbolt the clutch cover , then realign the two flywheel halves to correct the TDC mark and re-assemble