Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

Hi, my car has an issue with selecting gear i.e. its stiff

Customer Question

Hi, my car has an issue with selecting gear i.e. its stiff and difficult to engage, but this is only first thing in the morning. If I was to leave the engine running for a few minutes it becomes easier and eventually operates as normal. The clutch itself is not slipping and feels fine, it is just simply the stiff gear selection in the morning.

Any ideas what it could be or is it the clutch?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Is this in all gears or just certain ones?

Does it happen too with the engine off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would say all the gears but especially 1st and reverse as these are what Iwould use.

Tested out changing gear with engine off earlier and it was fine, after starting engine it was notchy but was quick to.become normal again, car was parked on a slope so not sure if that made any difference!

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

One thing that maybe worth trying first is gearbox oil change..certainly the cheapest option first to sometimes when the oil starts too cool down overnight becomes thicker and thus when you start up the gearbox can feel a bit rough to select until of course the oil circulated or heated up and then the gearbox works fine might worth trying that ,since the gears select ok when off then you can pretty much rule out a gearstick to gearbox control side fault - if that's doesn't improve the fault the oil change then you be looking at a possible issue as per the clutch assembly/clutch operating side of hydraulic..if at any point the clutch is going or not fully clearing can cause this type of problem when the engines running as apposed to when the engine off...