Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Peugeot 405 M reg. 18 years old. Is difficult to start when

Customer Question

Peugeot 405 M reg. 18 years old. Is difficult to start when not used for 24 hours or longer. Had full service from Robins & Day 3 weeks ago. Had new plugs and leads. Once it is going no problems.
Today it has been raining all day, and new battery is running down, because of non start. I think it could be the fuel pump! Am I right ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. I don't think it will be the fuel pump.

Mark :

If it runs ok when you do get it started and has no power loss then the pump is probably ok.

Mark :

The poor starting is more likely to be due to low cylinder compression.

Mark :

This could be caused by leaking injectors which washes away oil residue from the piston rings and so lowers the compression.

Mark :

Once the engine does start this compression returns and will not cause any power loss whilst driving. It also accounts for the engine then starting each time you try it because the leaking injectors take time to wash the oil away.