Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

I have trouble starting my kangoo van wether the engine is

Customer Question

I have trouble starting my kangoo van wether the engine is cold or warm I have to pump the accelerator lots of time with the ignition on ( making a lot of noise ) before it finally starts. Once started it drives well, it's just trying to start it that's the problem. Any advice would be very welcome thanks in advance.
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Please try the following next time you start the engine .

Lift the bonnet then on the left side front near the fuel filter is a squeeze type hand pump
like the photo below .

And check the clear tubing is free of air bubbles ,squeeze until its hard then try and start if it starts then you have to replace this pump as the valve is letting the fuel drain back down to the fuel tank...

Now if that does not work put it in 2nd gear and push start does it start easy ..if it does then you will have to check the following .
Engine compression .
Starter motor speed if the starter turns slow will never start first time .

Glow plugs have the glow plugs checked its also a possibility if the plugs are bad that it will not start when the engine is warm due to low engine compression .if the compression is low it will need heat to help start ..

If you have over 120.000 miles then this engine is most likely low on compression see this so many times with the Kangoo ..

Should you need further assistance with this car then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg