Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

HI the drivers door on my RHD Avenger SXT 08 plate keeps refusing

Customer Question

HI the drivers door on my RHD Avenger SXT 08 plate keeps refusing to open, even after the others are OK. Sometimes it opens, sometimes not. The plunger goes up on the key OK
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
Does it feel like the door is still locked or the latch has no resistance when the door won't open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, before we go any further there seems to be a mix up with my email address, it is [email protected] not as it appears scrambled on some correspondence. Mike, the fob operates the doors OK but the RHD (drivers) door stays locked. The interior latch will not open it at all. This happened once some days ago and after about 3-4 hours it started working again OK. But yesterday it went again and today the same. First I thought it was the rain, I have looked at the fuse in cavity 36 and swopped them for another but still the same. As for resistance its the same as before. HELP, and I am in the trade! patricko

Ok the issue that you are describing is the lock actuator in that door is electrically failing. This is a common issue and results in the symptoms that you are having. To correct the issue the door panel is removed and the actuator must be replaced.
Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, yes I understand that but how can you open the door to remove the door cards. Without the door opening you cannot replace the faulty part. I have given it a diagnostic check and everything checks out OK, but you still come back to needing to open the door in the first place!

patricko

Yes you are correct the door will have to be open to get the panel off. Has the door stopped opening altogether now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, as locked as Jailhouse! I am accessing via another door.

Do you know any Dodge/Chrysler people who have come across this? It is apparently a "known fault". Thanks for getting back to me.

Let me see what I can come up,I will get back with you shortly. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, thanks anything would be most appreciated. Apart from a gallon of gasoline, I am stumped!

No problem thank you.