Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 1999 V8 S Type Jaguar. After one year lay up I have

Customer Question

I have a 1999 V8 S Type Jaguar. After one year lay up I have had to replace the starter motor as it was seized solid and rusty at the gear end. Where could the water have come from as the starter is completely enclosed in the bell housing?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The gear of the starter itself was seized correct?

Also what type of area was the vehicle sitting for a year?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is correct, the gear was seized and the car was stored under a car cover in a dry garage.Is there a core plug or somewhere that the water could ingress. The starter motor was covered in a very brown rust and it did not smell of antifreeze.

For the starter motor to have the very brown rust this indicates condensation set up on the starter. The condensation would have seeped through to the gear. It is difficult to say where the rust came from if it was not condensation however the only other way this could happen is a fluid leak from the car itself.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help, new starter motor fitted and heavily greased. Have only just responded because of computer breakdown.

No problem thank you.